Summer Associate – Investments, Venture Lab
Accion is a global nonprofit committed to creating a financially inclusive world, with a pioneering legacy in microfinance and fintech impact investing. We catalyze financial service providers to deliver high-quality, affordable solutions at scale for the three billion people who are left out of – or poorly served by – the financial sector. For more than 50 years, Accion has helped tens of millions of people through its work with more than 90 partners in 40 countries. More at http://www.accion.org.
About Venture Lab
Accion Venture Lab is the world’s leading seed-stage investor in fintech for the underserved. Venture Lab invests capital in, and provides support to, innovative fintech startups that increase access to, improve the quality of, or reduce the cost of financial services for the underserved at scale. Since launching in 2012, Venture Lab has deployed over US$10 million across more than 30 startups that work in over 20 countries worldwide.
We are currently recruiting a Summer Associate who will be based in Washington, DC. The role is highly entrepreneurial, spanning emerging market venture investing, consulting/management, and entrepreneurship, with a focus on cutting edge innovation in financial inclusion. Successful candidates will have the opportunity to work on live deals, and will work with the team to define a meaningful project and deliverable (e.g., sector report, market overview) to complete during the internship period.
Deal screening and investments:
- Support team on the identification and assessment of new investment opportunities, including completing prescreens on companies, conducting background research, performing financial and strategy analysis, and collecting/analyzing diligence documents.
Fund operations and strategy:
- Proactively develop knowledge resources and thought leadership, including preparing investment updates, identifying best practices across the portfolio, and documenting learnings to be shared within Accion and externally.
- Currently enrolled in an MBA or similar advanced degree program (including public policy, international development, or international relations degrees)
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for entrepreneurship and market-based solutions to poverty.
- Strong research and analysis skills, including financial and strategy analytics.
- Outstanding relationship management skills and ability to earn respect of Accion colleagues, investors and enterprises. Existing network within impact investing and/or financial inclusion a plus.
- Exceptional written, communication and presentation skills, and comfortable moving seamlessly between boardroom and field.
- Willingness to embody our values of excellence, respect and passion for social change.
- Excellence: Accion staff should always put forth their best effort in all activities, strive for high quality of collective and individual performance; and demonstrate honesty and integrity at all times while in the workplace and while working on behalf of the organization.
- Respect: Accion staff should value one another’s roles and responsibilities as much as their own, be encouraging, and value the diverse and unique perspectives of colleagues. They should honor obligations and commitments to each other and to external partners.
- Passion for Social Change: Accion staff should be committed to making a difference in the lives of those less fortunate, value the greater good of the organization over personal gain, and promote a productive workplace by acknowledging the accomplishments of others.
- Domain expertise in financial services and/or financial inclusion, particularly financial technology, payment systems, and/or innovative delivery models.
- Experience working in or with startups or growth-stage enterprises in emerging markets.
- Relevant experience in financial services, management consulting and/or VC/PE investing.
- Language skills beyond English.
Please find more information here.