Senior Portfolio Associate
Bogota, Colombia – Full Time
Acumen Latam Capital Partners LLC, seeks a committed Senior Portfolio Associate with 5- 7 years of investment experience to help build and manage a world-class investment portfolio of game-changing enterprises that impact the lives of low income communities across Latin America; fluency in English and Spanish is a must.
Acumen Latam Capital Partners
Acumen Latam Capital Partners (ALCP) is an investment advisory firm focused on managing investment funds targeting the early growth stage market in Latin America. ALCP is seeking investment staff to support a new investment fund focused on Latin America, leveraging Acumen’s 15 year investing experience globally to support the growth of high impact enterprises. The fund is a continuation of Acumen’s impact strategy and has been designed as the next step in the funding ladder for social enterprises in the region. ALCP is affiliated with Acumen, and structured as a for-profit entity with a dedicated small high caliber investment team. ALCP is seeking a Senior Portfolio Associate to join its team and have the unique opportunity to invest a newly raised private equity impact fund from its get-go.
Acumen is an impact investment fund with a vision to help build a world beyond poverty through investing in companies that deliver critical goods and services in health, energy, agriculture, and education. Acumen has invested more than $100 million of patient capital in approximately 100 mission-driven businesses in South Asia, East Africa, West Africa and Latin America, that have collectively served more than 200 million customers. We have teams on the ground in India, Pakistan, Kenya, Ghana, Colombia, London, San Francisco and New York, and we aim to build strong local structures that are deeply interconnected, with shared goals and values.
Acumen Latin America
Acumen Latin America (ALA) started operations in 2013 and has a team based in Bogota focusing on Colombia and Peru. To date, ALA has made eight investments totaling $5 million in agribusiness companies that seek to impact the livelihood of small holder farmers in Colombia, Peru, Ecuador, Guatemala and Belize. Other sectors of interest are education and energy. In 2015, Acumen signed a Cooperative Agreement with USAID Colombia to extend its work to post-conflict areas of Colombia under a facility called the Investing in Peace Fund. Click here for more information on Acumens’ work in Latin America.
As Senior Portfolio Associate, you will play a key role in the success, development and impact of the fund’s portfolio in Latin America, with an initial focus on Colombia, Peru and Central America and the agribusiness, education and access to energy sectors. As part of your core function, you will provide management support to existing portfolio companies by building relationships, identifying key challenges and mobilizing resources; and grow our portfolio by identifying and developing a strong pipeline of investment opportunities. In addition, you will play a critical role shaping the portfolio strategy, management process, team and influence in Latam related to the fund.
More specifically, you will:
Identify, cultivate and execute an attractive pipeline of investment opportunities that impact low income communities
- Identify pipeline: Build an exhaustive network of relationships (including corporate, entrepreneur, NGO, academic, investor, advisory) to identify new pipeline opportunities for the fund;
- Conduct Investment Processes: Develop attractive opportunities by building relationships with promoters; conducting evaluations and analyses; thorough due diligence; and structure and execute investments;
- Investment Documentation: Prepare, present, and maintain detailed and compelling investment documentation for the Investment Committee.
Develop and implement a post investment management strategy to add significant value to investee companies
- Design and implement post-investment management;
- Serve in a senior relationship capacity for the fund, developing close contact with portfolio company promoters, including representing the fund as a Director on Boards;
- Design and evaluate key metrics to measure the social and financial returns on investments;
- Develop long-term relationships with external stakeholders including funders, investors, co-investors, advisors, thought leaders, sector and functional experts to provide business development and strategic post-investment management across the Latam Portfolio.
Qualifications & Characteristics
- Bachelor’s Degree is required; MBA preferable;
- Fluency in writing and speaking English and Spanish is required;
- Strong financial, modeling and business analysis skills as demonstrated by prior experience is required;
- Ideally be familiar with the impact investing/social enterprise sector;
- Ideal candidates will bring either:
- 5-7 years of principal investing experience, including financial and operational due diligence of private companies. Understanding of early stage businesses and entrepreneurs is a plus; OR
- 5-7 years of management consulting or operational experience with a proven track record of delivering operational and management support to companies or internal units.
- Solid operational skills including problem solving and project management skills, including ability to work and deliver projects independently, proactively and under pressure;
- Strong communication skills and ability to be a “storyteller” of our work;
- Candidates with strong connections to Central America region are encouraged to apply
Additional characteristics we are looking for:
- Commitment to and enthusiasm for the organization’s mission to change the way the world tackles poverty, and respect for our core values: generosity, accountability, humility, audacity, listening, leadership, integrity and respect
- Ability to thrive when there is ambiguity, remain cool-headed when there are curve balls, and withstand the tests of a rapidly changing environment with resilience and resolve
- A sense of humor (really)
- Exceptional relationship and interpersonal skills: courtesy, tact, patience and strong team orientation; effectively collaborates with and across teams
- Entrepreneurial spirit with an ability to work in small teams and roll up their sleeves;
This position will be based in Bogota, Colombia and will require extensive travel throughout the region.
The deadline for this position is 21st January, 2018. Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Please find more information here.