Investment Associate – New Media Ventures
New Media Ventures (NMV) is a mission-driven venture fund and investor network focused on innovation to advance progressive change. Our mission is to find, support, and finance organizations that are telling new stories, building advocacy movements, and catalyzing civic engagement. Over the past 7 years, we have supported 60 promising startups, many of which are now widely recognized pillars of the social change community, from Upworthy and Blavity to SumOfUs, Ultraviolet and Coworker.org. Our recent Resist & Rebuild Open Call received 500 applications, and we are thrilled to be investing millions in new startups working to protect our democracy and advance social justice.
We are seeking an Investment Associate to help us take our reach to the next level. We are especially interested in democratizing access to capital and encourage people who are under-represented in the investment and startup communities to apply.
Application deadline is Sunday, December 10th.
Our office is in Oakland, CA. Remote candidates are invited to apply.
The investment associate will:
- Increase deal flow: respond to inbound inquiries, expand referral network in particular into communities that typically have less access to capital, attend relevant events
- Manage open call: set-up and manage our bi-annual open call process, recruit volunteer investment committee, manage data flow, set-up web portal, answer questions from entrepreneurs
- Evaluate investment opportunities during our open call process and throughout the year
- Help structure deal terms
- Prepare materials for investor briefings
- Track progress of portfolio under management and assess needs for support
- Prepare materials for fundraising and communications
- Lead market research and build relationships with network of experts to improve the quality of our diligence
- Remarkable analytical skills: you can quickly and rigorously process large amounts of information and identify what matters and why
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail: you can create and manage complex processes to move forward and make recommendations in fast-paced, ambiguous environment
- Strong communication skills: you can clearly and succinctly present your analysis and make recommendations
- Team player: you are happy to schedule meetings and do data entry if that’s what needed in a busy moment when everyone is juggling many tasks
- Strong values: you build relationships with empathy, integrity and respect; you are committed to advancing social and environmental justice.
- Candidate Pluses (note: we don’t expect any candidate to match more than 1 or 2 in the list below)
- Direct experience with social and environmental justice issues that New Media Ventures seeks to address, in particular those that most affect underrepresented communities
- Investment (VC, private equity, etc.) or grant-making experience
- Work in tech / engineering experience
- Direct experience working in / with startups
- MBA or equivalent work experience
What to expect from us:
- Salary range: $90,000 – $110,000
- Full benefits
- A team with a sense of justice and a sense of humor
- A low-ego, high-performance culture and a flexible work environment
Want to learn more? We’re hosting a webinar to answer your questions about New Media Ventures and about this position on Friday 12/1 at 11am PT. Simply use this link to attend. Missed it? The recording will be posted on our blog: www.newmediaventures.org/blog.
We also recommend checking-out the following information about our work.
Ready to apply? There are 2 simple steps:
- In lieu of a cover letter, please fill out this form with your answers to the following questions (150 words max per question)
-Why are you interested in this position?
-Share a relevant professional or personal experience you are particularly proud of & why
-Which pluses from the job description apply to you (check-list)
- Email your 1-page resume to email@example.com with “Investment Associate” in the subject line
Apply before Sunday December 10th
Please find more information here.