Investment Analyst, VilCap Investments – Village Capital
SAN FRANCISCO, CA
VilCap Investments invests in high-potential founders solving real-world problems. As one of the most active early-stage funds, we believe in the power of democratizing entrepreneurship and through Village Capital’s established process, we employ an innovation that changes how early-stage capital is deployed: entrepreneurs themselves participate in our initial investment decisions. Since 2009, Village Capital has worked with over 600 entrepreneurs in seven countries creating innovations in education, energy, financial services, health, and sustainable food & agriculture, yielding a portfolio of 80 investments that reflects where we see opportunity that is often undervalued or overlooked: 35% of our portfolio companies have female founders, 25% of our portfolio companies have founders of color, and 90% of our portfolio are outside of the markets where 50% of venture dollars are concentrated (CA, NY, MA). VilCap Investments is now seeking an Investment Analyst to continue executing this fund’s strategy and help make and manage new and follow-on investments in portfolio companies.
Working with the Fund’s Managing Director, the Analyst will be a vital part of a small investment team and have a varied and demanding role, including domestic and international travel. Primary responsibilities will include working with portfolio companies on fundraising and strategic growth plans, pursuing quantitative and qualitative analysis of new and existing investment opportunities, and assisting with fund reporting and operations. This position is based in San Francisco, CA.
Investment Analysis (40%)
- Evaluate early-stage companies for investment (from pre-funding through Series A & B)
- Build financial models to support investment analysis and recommendations
- Conduct financial and impact due diligence, including market sizing and independent research
Portfolio Management & Company Support (40%)
- Actively monitor and maintain relationships with a high volume of existing investments to evaluate follow-on investment opportunities
- Create and maintain systems to manage performance data across large investment portfolio
- Conduct needs assessments and help craft strategic growth and fundraising plans with portfolio companies
- Facilitate workshop sessions for portfolio companies
- Provide direct portfolio company support by building and leveraging relationships with investors and strategic partners to help companies achieve success in fundraising, operations, and investment exits
Investor Reporting (10%)
- Contribute to on-going quarterly and annual investor reporting by communicating with portfolio companies, monitoring and verifying financial and impact performance, and drafting written materials
Fund Operations (10%)
- Assist Managing Director as needed with on-going fund operations and administration
- You are passionate about entrepreneurs. You are a hustler and you have, or can easily build, a network of investor resources and relationships that will be helpful to portfolio companies.
- You are independently motivated. You are comfortable with ambiguity—a key aspect of working with early-stage companies—and with working on your own in a small team setting.
- You are proficient in financial analysis and modeling. You love getting into the weeds on numbers and business drivers, know your way around Excel, and have modeled early stage businesses before.
- You are curious. You are a polymath who enjoys learning, teaching yourself about a wide variety of subjects, and you are comfortable in many different international contexts.
- You have a good sense of humor. This work is hard, and the hours can be long. It is more fun if you make it fun.
- You are an excellent communicator. You’re comfortable presenting to audiences of start-up CEOs, negotiating term sheets, and concisely supporting your point of view.
- You are detail-oriented and professional. You hate typos, can easily manage deadlines and prioritize your time, and take your own professional credibility seriously.
- You want to change the world. There are lots of ways you can spend your time. You are energized by working on hard problems, and hold a strong set of values about building impactful companies.
- Bachelors degree, or higher, with strong academic performance
- 2 years professional work experience
- Investment experience, preferably with early-stage companies and investment structures
- Demonstrated interest in entrepreneurship, international development, and/or impact investing
- Ability and eagerness to travel domestically and internationally (up to 30% of time)
Please find more information here.