East Africa Lean Data Manager
Nairobi, Kenya – Full Time
Acumen is looking for an ambitious, entrepreneurial and data-savvy individual to join our global Lean DataSM team. This is an outstanding opportunity for a candidate with strong analytical skills, passion for understanding and accelerating social impact, and a proven commitment to global poverty alleviation.
Acumen is changing the way the world tackles poverty by investing in companies, leaders and ideas. We invest patient capital in businesses whose products and services are enabling the poor to transform their lives. Founded by Jacqueline Novogratz in 2001, Acumen has invested more than $111 million in 104 companies across Africa, Latin America, South Asia and the UnitedStates. We are also developing a global community of emerging leaders with the knowledge, skills and determination to create a more inclusive world. In 2015, Acumen was named one of Fast Company’s Top 10 Most Innovative Not-for-Profit Companies.
About Lean Data
In addition to investing in companies, Acumen also works on initiatives that create wider change in the social sector. One of our leading initiatives is the development, execution and promotion of our cutting-edge social performance and customer insights data service called Lean DataSM. We built Lean Data to help companies more effectively listen to customers and to incorporate impact measurement and customer-centricity into business as usual.. Using low-cost technology and methods, Lean Data gathers high-quality data quickly and efficiently, directly from end-customers. To date, Acumen has spread Lean Data across the whole of its own portfolio and since 2016, we began implementing Lean Data for external clients such as Omidyar Network, DFID/CDC, Injaro, SEDF, The Gates Foundation and others.
Who You Are
You hardworking, smart & enterprenuerial and are excited to join a global team that is developing a bold new approach to data collection and impact measurement. You are the type of person who can quickly get your head around new business models and can cut through their complexity to isolate key business drivers and the levers for creating social impact. You will also have a good knowledge of the theory and application of research techniques and a hunger for creation of original knowledge. You will need to be a relationship-builder; a strong listener and will have the operational experience to consistently be a resource to our investment professionals and to our companies. You will also need to be a go-getter with excellent instincts for opportunities to bring in new clients across Africa. And above all else you’ll love getting into the weeds of data in order to generate new ideas and insights for the social sector!
As the Lean Data Manager in our East Africa office you will lead our Lean Data work across Africa. To do so you will head a small team in Nairobi and work closely with the Director of Lean Data (based in London) and the global Lean Data team. You will also be an integral partner and thought-leader in Acumen’s East Africa office, working to support the portfolio and leadership work there and to scale Lean Data across the region. As such this is definitely an opportunity with room for growth.
Specifically, you will:
- Manage all Lean Data operations across Africa: includes managing a team of full-time and part-time Lean Data researchers and analysts, overseeing all data collection and analysis, developing clear processes, measuring team performance against KPIs, and ensuring quality of data.
- Manage all Lean Data projects across East and West Africa, including at Acumen investees and across Lean Data’s external clients.
- Synthesize data collected across all projects to create compelling presentations that guide businesses to make decisions based on the data.
- Lead business development for Lean Data across Africa, including with impact investing funds and foundations looking to develop a deeper understanding of the impact of their investees or projects.
- Contribute to the development of Lean Data through running R&D projects and experiments to increase the effectiveness of Lean Data in leading to business outcomes such as increased sales, customer satisfaction, and impact.
- Work with the local and global communications teams to help raise the visibility of Lean Data.
Qualifications & Characteristics
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience; from a data-oriented position in a management consultancy, development consultancy, enterprise or equivalent.
- Bachelor’s Degree a minimum; Post-graduate degree preferred
- Demonstrated success analyzing data, as well as both providing advice and implementing change based on such results
- Experience with client and project management. Evidence of track record of growing sales would be highly valued.
- Experience or strong familiarity with the social enterprise and/or development sector
- Must be authorized to work in Kenya
Additional characteristics we’re looking for in all roles at Acumen:
- Commitment to, and enthusiasm for, the organization’s mission and business model, and respect for our core values: generosity, accountability, humility, audacity, listening, leadership, integrity and respect
- Solid operational skills, problem solving and project management skills, including ability to work and deliver projects independently, proactively and under pressure
- Ability to thrive when there is ambiguity, remain cool-headed when there are curve balls, and withstand the tests of a rapidly changing environment with resilience and resolve
- Strong communication skills and ability to be a “storyteller” of our work
- Curious – always questioning, always probing, and never blindly accepting
- A sense of humor (really)
Acumen offers a competitive compensation package commensurate with experience, including full benefits.
Please submit a resume.
In lieu of a cover letter, also submit responses to the following questions:
- Why are you on fire about working for Acumen?
- Share with us a statistic or data point that excites you, and tell us why you’re so interested by it.
- Tell us about a time you took a risk at work, and what you learnt.
The deadline for this position is Monday, December 18, 2017. Candidates are encouraged to apply early as we are accepting resumes on a rolling basis.
Please find more information here.