Director of Research and Policy – CDC
- Our mission is to support the building of businesses throughout Africa and South Asia, to create jobs and make a lasting difference to people’s lives in some of the world’s poorest places.
- We aim to invest in countries where we can have the greatest impact. In countries where the private sector is weak and jobs are scarce.
- We invest in sectors where growth leads to jobs – both directly and indirectly. In sectors such as manufacturing, agribusiness, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education. Last year, the businesses we invest in created more than a million jobs.
- We are successful because we are a high quality investment organisation, using the best commercial skills and judgement to make investments in great companies and support them to grow over the long term. We therefore want to attract people with these skills but who are motivated to use them to dramatically improve the private sector in Africa and South Asia
- For further information, please visit our website cdcgroup.com
- As part of our 2017-2021 strategy, we are working to further embed development impact deeper in everything that we do. To achieve this objective, we are growing our existing Development Impact team around three key functions:
- Impact management: working closely with the investment teams, and in charge of analysing, tracking and managing the impact of each individual investment
- Evaluations: in charge of identifying cross-cutting impact themes within our portfolio, and developing and overseeing strategic evaluations that can inform investment decision-making and portfolio management
- Research and Policy: in charge of leading research around key development issues relevant to CDC, and, together with Communications to lead our internal and external engagement efforts around development impact
- Through the Research and Policy function, we aim to improve our own understanding of our development impact, and to increase our capacity to proactively engage with internal and external stakeholders on our contribution to international development.
- We are recruiting a Director to head the Research and Policy function within the broader Development Impact team. This is a new position at CDC and therefore the successful candidate will have a significant role to play in shaping the function. It is expected that the Director will be managing one or two direct reports.
- Perform and oversee research on key development issues relevant to CDC, with the objective of building a robust, evidence-based case for the role of development finance institutions in economic development
- Monitor and analyse developments in the academic literature relevant to CDCs interests to inform CDCs strategy and operations
- Establish CDCs thought leadership in private sector development through sector relevant publications and participation in external events
- Engage in global development policy debates relevant to CDC to help shape the policy environment in which CDC evolves and to inform CDC’s strategy and operations
- Working with other relevant parts of the organisation, identify key external stakeholders to engage on development impact issues relevant to CDC, and then establish a regular and productive dialogue with these stakeholders
- Working with other relevant parts of the organisation, develop and implement an internal engagement programme around development impact, aiming to build internal knowledge of development issues to (1) inform our selection and management of investments, (2) build our external reputation as investors with a developmental mandate, and (3) inspire current and future staff
Qualifications and experience
The successful candidate should have, or can exhibit demonstrable experience in the following areas:
- Masters, post-graduate or equivalent qualification in a relevant discipline
- Extensive experience working in a research or policy-related environment
- In-depth awareness of key issues, organisations and stakeholders in international development, and in particular of those pertaining to development finance and private sector development in Africa and South Asia
- Excellent working knowledge and understanding of private businesses and investing in the private sector
- Significant experience developing and leading policy-oriented research in the field of international development, demonstrated by a track record of publications and reports
- Successful experience working collaboratively as part of a broader team, facilitating information sharing and organisational learning
- Successful experience engaging with external stakeholders, such as NGOs and policy makers, on international development issues
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with a demonstrated ability to address and engage a wide range of audiences, including some with limited knowledge of international development issues
- Strong people skills, with the ability to develop productive relationships with staff at all levels
- Ability to think creatively and to suggest and push innovative ideas
- Alignment with CDC’s mandate, mission and values
- Ability to communicate at business level in French
- Experience managing a team
We look for candidates who share our culture and reflect our identity:
- Compassion is central to everything we do
- We owe our clients and prospective clients a fast and thoughtful process
- We accept the tough challenges inherent in our mission
- We are quick and non-defensive when things go wrong
- We oppose bureaucracy
- We never forget that we are investing and spending tax payers’ money
- We promote a fulfilling work environment
Opening date: 18th October 2017
Closing date: 17th November 2017
Please find more information here.